Eternita Il Divo Fan Fics Library & Assorted Info
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan Fics Library Site Il Divo

PORTALHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
New World Tour Dates W/ Steven LaBrie Guest Singer
Latin Countries around the World till Oct 2022
The Guys Are On A Month Break. They Start Back On June 25, 2022 In Valencia, Spain
Saturday December 3rd UK Christmas Concerts Began. Ending December 16th In London, UK.
New USA Dates in AUG_SEPT, 2022 Look for Updates

Spotlighting : Urs Buhler (Swiss Tenor)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Contessa
Admin
Admin
Contessa

Goat
Humor : I found it and as always the joke is on me!!

Spotlighting : Urs Buhler  (Swiss Tenor) Empty
PostSubject: Spotlighting : Urs Buhler (Swiss Tenor)   Spotlighting : Urs Buhler  (Swiss Tenor) EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Urs's musical background sewed the seeds for this spirit of restless activity and inquiry. As a five-year-old in Lucerne, he joined the local choir, and began to take lessons in violin, clarinet, piano, guitar and drums. Even then, you couldn't box him in. At the same time as he was studying at the music academy, Urs was fronting a heavy metal band.

Later, he would travel to the Netherlands to study singing at the Sweelink Conservatorium, appear at the Salzburg Festival and earn a distinguished reputation as an operatic tenor at the Netherlands Opera and many other opera houses across Europe. So Urs has never been about standing still, artistically, and settling back into a comfort zone ­ or respecting the barriers some insist on placing between different musical genres. “From my training,” he laughs, “I know, from the classical point of view, that this is a good sound, and that is a bad one. But in every single other style of singing, that doesn't apply. Blurring the boundaries upsets the purists, certainly ­ but that's a good thing to do.”

We caught with Urs and asked him about a few of his favourite things, from music & movies, to food and travel.

Favourite Album: Ozzy Osbourne/Randy Rhoads – Tribute

Favourite Song: Taio Cruz – Break Your Heart

Favourite Piece Of Clothing: Leather Jacket & Cowboy Boots

Favourite Shop: Divertimenti (Kensington, London), Amb Botes (Cowboy Boot Shop, Playa d’Aro, Spain)

Favourite Movie: Wallace & Gromit – The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit

Favourite TV Show: Father Ted

Favourite Restaurant: Chez George, Amsterdam

Favourite Food: Big long Breakfast in all it’s variations.

Favourite Vacation Destination: Home.
Back to top Go down
Contessa
Admin
Admin
Contessa

Goat
Humor : I found it and as always the joke is on me!!

Spotlighting : Urs Buhler  (Swiss Tenor) Empty
PostSubject: Urs Buhler (Bio) All Inserts Of The Il Divo Offical Fan Site   Spotlighting : Urs Buhler  (Swiss Tenor) EmptySat Oct 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Ask Urs Buhler what most makes him proud about Il Divo's achievements over the past seven years, and, intriguingly, he will talk not of the past but about the present and the future. For the classically trained Swiss tenor, music means moving forward ¬ maturing, fine-tuning, perfecting. “We're constantly trying to push things upwards, to a different level,” he says.

“Whenever we do something new, we want to do it better. And we're still managing to do that, which fills me with great satisfaction.”

Urs's musical background sewed the seeds for this spirit of restless activity and inquiry. As a five-year-old in Lucerne, he joined the local choir, and began to take lessons in violin, clarinet, piano, guitar and drums. Even then, you couldn't box him in. At the same time as he was studying at the music academy, Urs was fronting a heavy metal band. Later, he would travel to the Netherlands to study singing at the Sweelink Conservatorium, appear at the Salzburg Festival and earn a distinguished reputation as an operatic tenor at the Netherlands Opera and many other opera houses across Europe. So Urs has never been about standing still, artistically, and settling back into a comfort zone ¬ or respecting the barriers some insist on placing between different musical genres. “From my training,” he laughs, “I know, from the classical point of view, that this is a good sound, and that is a bad one. But in every single other style of singing, that doesn't apply. Blurring the boundaries upsets the purists, certainly ¬ but that's a good thing to do.”

If he does look back, it is to compare Il Divo now with the four singers who came together in 2003 and set about realising their vision. At the beginning, Urs says, they were very much feeling their way, all of them operating, to some extent, outside their customary field. That's all changed now. “The contribution we make has really progressed, especially on the new album. We're much more involved than we were in the past. And I think that's because we have proved ourselves. So people have the trust in us: that we really do know what we're doing.”

In the 18 months that have elapsed since Il Divo completed the world tour they had embarked on to promote their 2008 album, The Promise, Urs has been realising another dream, working on the renovation of the house he recently bought. “In my personal life, I tend to switch off. I live in the countryside, it¹s incredibly remote, just fields and mountains around me. My house is a very old property, and I'm restoring it, which is very time-consuming, but incredibly fulfilling. I'm project-managing the restoration, and I use local people from the nearby village, small, traditional firms. I love it, but it's going to take years. And I love to play guitar and ride my motorbikes, I'm passionate about both.” He appreciates the rewards Il Divo has brought him, he says, but he would never lose sight of what real life is all about. “I don't need to have seven Ferraris in the garage. Yes, I have a big house, and a few motorbikes, and that's enough. I feel very Zen and serene about what I do and how I live my life.”

Looking ahead to the launch of the new album, Urs cannot contain his excitement ¬ or conceal his pride. “We've recorded an adaptation of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, with a new chorus. It sounds incredibly dramatic. The whole album is like that; it's much more serious, more mature.

Since we started, there have been so many people out there trying to do what we do. So we needed to change, or it's no longer interesting for us, or for the audience. We have devised material that is rooted in pieces of classical string and piano music: for instance, another new song is based on Beethoven's Moonlight sonata. And, harmonically, that is bound to be more interesting, more dramatic.”

Urs's long and varied musical journey is about to take a new turn, and he can't wait for Il Divo's fans to hear the results. “We're so excited about this record,” he smiles. “We think it's the best work we've ever done.”
Back to top Go down

Spotlighting : Urs Buhler (Swiss Tenor)
Page 1 of 1