Eternita Il Divo Fan Fics Library & Assorted Info
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan Fics Library Site Il Divo

PORTALHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
New World Tour Dates W/ Steven LaBrie Guest Singer
Latin Countries around the World till Oct 2022
The Guys Are On A Month Break. They Start Back On June 25, 2022 In Valencia, Spain
Saturday December 3rd UK Christmas Concerts Began. Ending December 16th In London, UK.
New USA Dates in AUG_SEPT, 2022 Look for Updates

The Buhler Blogs

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Urs Suberbabe
Writers Group
Writers Group

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Buhler Blogs   The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 8:02 pm

The Buhler Bride
Coming Home May 15, 2034

Wednesday

Susanna’s bluejeanned hips swayed rhythmically as she stood at the kitchen counter mixing pancake batter and singing along with her iPod. “Honky-Tonk Badonkadonk, keepin’ perfect rhythm makes you wanna swing along, got it goin’ on like Donkey Kong, and ooo-weee shut my mouth…”

“Morning, Mami, I see you still got the moves!” Jon laughed leaning over from behind to pull one ear bud out and kiss her cheek.

Susanna grinned and quickly pulled out the other one, turned off her iPod, and dropped it into the pocket of her ‘Kiss the Cook’ apron. “Why thank you Jon, I try. Gotta keep up with your Papi you know.”

‘I could smell the salt-rising bread all the way down the stairs. I sure do miss your cooking,” Jon said over his shoulder as he sliced two pieces of bread, popped them in the toaster and poured coffee into a mug.

Susanna fished around at the back of the fridge shelf, triumphantly retrieved a small jar of tomato preserves, and set it on the table ready for Jon’s toast that had just popped up.

“Mmmm now I know I’m home, Mami” Susanna received a slightly sticky peck on the cheek and beamed as Jon blissfully munched his toast.

“Papi up? Oops stupid question. Out running?”

“Ja, I’ll be making blueberry pancakes when he gets back. Now tell me how things are with you. Are you still dating that cute little blond we saw at Thanksgiving?” Susanna poured cream into her coffee, stirred, and waited with a gentle patience that would have earned her a gold star from Grandmami.

“No, not really,” Jon suddenly took great interest in his last bite of toast.

“What happened?” Susanna reached out to touch his arm.

“We just kinda drifted apart, you know. Besides I just don’t have the time right now,” he shrugged his shoulders dismissively. “I mean with school and work and … everything.”

Susanna sipped her coffee and focused on an imaginary spot on the wall above Jon’s head before she spoke. “It seems to me Grandmuz and Grandpa John have slowed down quite a bit. What do you think?”

“Mami you know I love them and would do anything for them but I can’t be there as much as I used to. I’m worried who’ll be there for them next semester when I start interning. I could be assigned to south Florida, Texas, or Arizona,” Jon admitted with a worried frown.

“What do you think they need the most help with?” Susanna asked, trying to sound matter of fact.

“I’d say driving and just everyday maintenance around the house. Traffic on US 19 is a real nightmare especially in the winter and Grandpa’s reflexes aren’t what they used to be…well neither is his patience for that matter. The yardwork is taken care of and they have a cleaning service, but I worry about just simple stuff like climbing on a stepstool to change lightbulbs or to reach the top cupboard shelves. Oh and Grandmuz has made a few cooking mistakes recently,” he added with an eye roll worthy of his Papi.

“Cooking mistakes? Like what?” Susanna tried to visualize what form these ‘mistakes’ took? Was Muz becoming senile and couldn’t remember food names? Was she no longer able to follow recipe directions? Did she forget to turn off the stove?

She breathed a sigh of relief when Jon explained that Grandmuz’s main problem was the habit she’d developed of saving leftovers or food too long resulting in the occasional stomach upset.

But more recently when she had a partially used bag or box of some staple she’d empty it into another container and forget to label it. For example you could never assume flour was just flour. It could be cake, bread, plain, or self-raising.

Then there was the clam chowder incident. She’s made a special batch for Grandpa and used what she thought was corn starch to thicken it. “Woman are you trying to poison me?” was his reaction as he spat it out. Fortunately her mistake was more bizarre than harmful. The corn starch had been powdered sugar.

Susanna and Jon were discussing what a retirement community for Muz and Daddy might look like as Urs came in from the mudroom wiping his face on a small towel.

“Morning, Jon, you’re up early,” he smiled as he hung the towel around his neck and bent down to give Susanna a kiss.

“I see you’ve been raised to most favored son status,” Urs commented as he held up the jar of tomato preserves. “I don’t suppose you saw where Mami hid this did you?”

“Uh, I think she got it out of the fridge, Papi,” answered Jon, wondering what the big deal was.

“See Urs, I kept telling you it was in the fridge but you wouldn’t believe me. It was the same way last month with that mustard from Regensburg that Karl brought you. If it doesn’t leap out into your hand when you open the door, you think I’ve hidden it,” Susanna teased.

Urs opened his mouth for a quick come-back then decided it was time to stop talking and start eating before Jon finished the jar or Susanna hid it again.

“Jon, would you tell Papi what we were talking about while I start the pancakes?”

So as Urs thoughtfully chewed his preserve laden toast and drank his first coffee of the day, he and Jon worked on a wish list for a possible retirement community: self-contained unit, garage or carport, few stairs, well designed kitchen, option of prepared meals, shops and services adjoining or very nearby, a pool for Muz and golf course for Daddy.

They put up their list as the morning crowd began to filter in. Matt and Brigitta breezed through on their way to school with just enough time to grab some juice and a piece of fruit from the bowl.

With hurried hello/goodbye kisses, promises to drive safely, and a reminder from Matt to Brigitta to meet him at the car as soon as her last class was over, they were out the door like two whirling dervishes.

Jon and Urs were contentedly munching on the first batch of pancakes when Noelle, Heidi, and the ever present wedding notebook appeared. As they joined the munch bunch at the table, Susanna reminded them to be back from Zurich by 6:00 because the limo would be here at 7:00.

“Mammiiii! You don’t think I’d let Heidi be late for her girl’s night out, do you?” Noelle gasped indignantly.

Urs hid a smile in his napkin but his eyes twinkled. “Of course she doesn’t, lieb. Is it more shopping today?”

“I need to check in on the shop one last time and pick up a few things from the apartment that I want to pack for our honeymoon,” explained Heidi.

“And you need to check to see if any new gifts have been delivered. We have to keep up with our thank-yous, Heidi,” lectured Noelle.

“Yes, WE do, Louise,” Heidi sighed and rolled her eyes as she forked a bite of pancake into her mouth.

“There he is!” Urs face lit up as he scooped Marc onto his lap for a kiss and hug.

“Morning everyone.” Lilly captured Marc who had wiggled down from Grandpapi’s lap to work the room beginning with Grandmami and ending with Goldi. Gabe pulled the highchair to the table, secured Marc in and put on his bib while Lilly checked grasping hands to see how much fur he had ‘petted’. He was deemed ‘food worthy’ and immediately dug into his plain pancake, pausing once in a while to pick out and eat a blueberry or take a drink from his Tommie Tippy cup.

“Sound like all roads lead to Zurich this morning, Elle,” commented Gabe as he passed the pancakes and sausages to Lilly. “We’re picking up Amelie, Alain, and Nicolas at their hotel in Lucerne at 10:00. Then we’re off to the Zurich Zoo.”

“I hope the boys get along well together after all Nicolas is a year older,” Lilly fretted.

“I’m sure they’ll be so excited to see all the animals they’ll hardly even notice each other and besides Marc is used to playing with all his cousins. They’ll be fine,” Susanna reassured her giving Lilly’s shoulder a squeeze as she set down a teapot for her.

“Just like Amelie and me, remember Mami? There was almost a year between us but we got along great…at least what I remember. I know I was sure excited when she started at my nursery school,” Gabe smiled wistfully.

“What time do I need to be back for Jakob’s big night on the town?” asked Jon as he got up and rinsed his plate at the sink.

“Jakob and his brother and groomsman are checking into the Palace Hotel this afternoon. We’re meeting them at 7:00 for dinner and we’ll go from there. I’ve asked Matt to be our designated driver, Gott help us all,” Urs teased since he knew each of his children to be excellent and responsible drivers. Before he would let any of them drive, they had had to pass his driving standards which were even more rigorous than the official ones.

“That gives Grandpa John and I plenty of time. We have an 11:00 tee time at Burgenstock. It’s only nine holes and I know he’ll love the view. We can have lunch there and he’ll still have time to rest when he gets back. He mentioned something about Grandmami and Grandpapi coming over tonight to play cards,” Jon planned outloud as he checked his watch.

“Yes, they’ve been promising to teach Muz and Daddy to play Schieber Jass. Brigitta is watching Marc and Nicolas tonight so Amelie can go with us,” Susanna explained.

Noelle consulted the all-knowing wedding notebook. “Now the limo will be here at 7:00 and the rest of the girls are meeting us at Amelie’s hotel. Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?” Noelle closed her notebook with a satisfied smile and gave Heidi a high five, “YES! Little sister, it’s you’re last chance to howl at the moon. Tonight we party!”

”Urs are you finished with that bowl?” Susanna asked as Urs reluctantly handed over the cookie batter bowl, keeping the spoon to check for any batter he’d inadvertently missed.

In the living room Muz sat busily joining the pieces of a child-size sweater while upstairs the hum of the vacuum could be heard as Gisela their housekeeper was on her daily search and destroy mission for stray hair from Goldi.

Karl, the last one down this morning, had seemed especially distracted as he made a brief pass through the kitchen for coffee, mumbled something about shopping, and left. As they heard the throaty rumble of his bike, Urs and Susanna shared a smile.

“Do you think…” Urs began. “…it’s a ring,” Susanna finished smugly.

“How do you know? Has he talked to you?” Urs made a valiant attempt to hide his disappointment at not being the first to know. After all he was the Papi.

“Of course not, Urs. I’m sure he’ll come to you first. Mothers just know these things even before the words are said. What can I say? We’re magical,” she blinky-winked.

“Another Buhler wedding,” Urs smiled with pride. “What I wouldn’t give to be a fly on the wall when he talks to Carlos!”

“You don’t suppose he’d say no do you?” Susanna fretted, suddenly gripping Urs’ arm.

“Nein, but I think Carlos will be a little…stunned. I mean a father looks forward to his son being married but when it comes to a daughter, especially the first one, you feel like…like you’re losing her a little.”

Susanna’s kiss was filled with gentle understanding, her hug, a compassionate sharing.

“Well, we’ll know soon enough since they’ll be here tomorrow afternoon along with Seb and Juliana. It’s too bad
David and Sandy won’t be here till Friday,” Susanna added, trying to lighten the mood.

“Now I want you to promise to keep an eye on Jakob tonight, Urs. Don’t let them get him too drunk. Remember his parents are coming tomorrow for the civil ceremony at 2:00 and then we have the rehearsal and the dinner afterward,” Susanna cautioned, taking away the spoon to be sure she had his undivided attention. “You know Jakob would never hear the last of it from Monsignor Mike if he showed up ‘under the weather’,” Susanna chuckled.

“Have you heard from Monsignor Mike since he got here?” Urs asked as he washed his chocolaty fingers.

“He called yesterday morning to say he was at Father Ludwig’s, they would see us at 6:00 for the rehearsal and not to forget to bring the paper work from the civil ceremony. Remember when we had ours and then you stayed with Mami and Papi and I stayed with Muz and Daddy?” Susanna put the lid on the last cookie tin and turned to Urs.

“Don’t remind me,” he said taking her in his arms, “those were the two longest days of my life.” The kiss they shared was familiar, yet exciting, passionate in the feelings it evoked, yet gentle, a memory of things past, yet a promise of things to come.

Urs voice tickled in her ear as he whispered, “Wait up for me tonight, Houdini?”

“Always, Bag Boy, but what makes you think I’ll be home first?” Susanna teased with a twinkle in her eye.

“I know you, Houdini. A few drinks and you’ll be ready to come home but it might take us a while. It all depends on Alain.”

“Alain? What’s he got to do with it? You’re supposed to be in charge of Jakob,” Susanna asked in a puzzled voice.

“Uh..well you see Seb and I have a little bet about who can hold their drink better, his lawyer or my banker,” Urs admitted guiltily.

“And, let me guess, you’re going to ‘help’ Jakob win? Right?” Susanna rolled her eyes heavenward and shook her head. “Well, my advice is not to help him TOO much or Amelie will be giving you a sore head and it won’t be from a hangover!”

Urs answered with grin.

Susanna silently blessed the architect for situating the master bedroom away from the other bedrooms. She could hear the shower running and Urs’ voice rising above it even before she got to their bedroom door.

‘Let there be guitar, there was guitar, ah
Let there be rock
Let there be light, sound, drums, 'n guitar, ah
Let there be rock.’

She walked into the bathroom and opened the shower door just in time for Urs’ air guitar solo.

“Houdini,” Urs grinned, “come on in the water’s fine,” and patted the handicapped bench.

“I’d better not try that tonight, Bag Boy. Not unless it has a seatbelt,” a giggle escaped, along with a small hiccup. “It wouldn’t do for the mother of the bride to hobble down the aisle on crutches,” she added trying to be serious.

“I’ll just meet you in bed.”

Urs watched her turn toward the sink and sway slightly as she opened the toothpaste and put some on her toothbrush.

“Houdini, are you drunk?”

“No of course not, Bag Boy, but I’ll let you in on a little, teensy secret. My nose is numb. No…I’m definitely not drunk…just kind of humming all over.”

Oh yeah, Houdini, you’re buzzed alright.

Susanna was gone when Urs stepped out of the shower.

“Did you win the bet?” came her muffled question from the other room as she pulled her top off over her head.

“Yes, but it was touch and go there for awhile. I wouldn’t put my money on either of them in a real contest. We made them take aspirin and several glasses of water before we left. They’ll be fine in the morning,” Urs the Hangover Expert pronounced as he wound the towel around his hips and reached for his comb.

“Thank you Bag Boy.” Susanna walked in wearing HIM III and a devilish grin.

Urs’ fingers traced the faded letters of the red Harley t-shirt, “Are we having a threesome?” he chuckled.

“I’m feeling nostalgic tonight. MMmmmm I love you Father of the Bride,” she said as she gave him a stuffing testing hug and patted his hunkus.

“Have I told you how much I love your TLFB? See you under the covers, Bag Boy,” she said as she ran to the bed, jumped in, smoothed the covers up over her lap, and sat with folded hands, waiting.

Urs did not rise to the bait. Finally she couldn’t stand it any longer. “Do you know what TLFB is?” she called.

Urs turned off the water and appeared at the doorway, toothbrush in hand. “No, but I’m sure you’ll tell me,” he stated matter-of-factly, eyes twinkling.

“Tight Little Fuzzy Buns,” Houdini giggled triumphantly as if she’d answered the million-dollar question correctly.

Urs shook his toothbrush at her as if to say, ‘just you wait’.
Houdini, you definitely aren’t feeling any pain, that’s for sure.

“So where did you guys go tonight?” she asked as she stole a pillow from Urs’ side and added it to the two already behind her.

“We started at Borromini, then The Lounge, and finished at the Latino Bar. What about the Limo Ladies?”

“Well there was Bar 57. Urs, you would have been so proud of us. We won first place in the karaoke contest. The only thing was the words kept coming so fast. Finally I just kinda made it up as I went along. Actually they probably said we won because we outnumbered everyone.”

“Did you go anywhere else?”
Urs mentally crossed his fingers and hoped there weren’t very many more. His overactive imagination could see them approached at dinner somewhere, “Didn’t I see you doing karaoke at…”

“I don’t remember the next place but it was the best!”

“More karaoke?” Please Gott no.

“Oh no, even better than that. I had an orgasm.”

Surely I misunderstood. Perhaps someone was playing the organ at the club? “You said there was an organ?”

“No you silly Swiss wombat…. Orgasm…in fact I had two of them. They were delicious!”

Urs almost swallowed his mouthwash as he came out of the bathroom, wide-eyed, choking, and looking for the Fiend who has spirited Houdini away and was now wearing his red Harley shirt.

The Fiend continued, “The nice man even taught me how to do them myself. Now we can have them at home whenever we want. Won’t that be fun?”

Urs sat down heavily on the bed, making sure to stay on his side and said in a strangled voice, “Susanna, surely you’re not saying for almost 30 years of marriage you’ve been pretending to…”

“To what?”

“To ….you know.”

“Urs, for goodness sake I don’t know. Pretending to what?”

“That you…that we….together…never had an orgasm.”

“What? No! Of course we…why would you think… Oh Bag Boy….”

“This is no time to be laughing. Why are you laughing?”
“D….dr….drink….it’s a…..” Susanna dissolved into a laughing fit, “…it’s a drink, just a drink. It’s equal parts coffee liqueur, amaretto, Irish cream, and cream. Now will you please get over here? Your t-shirt and I are lonely,” Susanna said lifting the covers and pulling him by the arm.
Urs held Susanna possessively in a head to toe embrace as she reassured him with her kisses…well actually more than reassured him. As they lay there together she snuggled her head on his chest, smiling as she listened to his heartbeat while his fingers roamed down to her bottom, back over her hip and up to her waist.

“Houdini?”

“Uh huh Bag Boy.”

“A drink?”

“That’s all Bag Boy.”

Urs moved his head to look down at her. “Are you sure? Maybe we’d better make sure, Houdini.”

Susanna rose up on one elbow to meet his kiss. “Why Bag Boy I thought you’d never ask.”

Back to top Go down
Urs Suberbabe
Writers Group
Writers Group

PostSubject: Re: The Buhler Blogs   The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 am

The Buhler Bride
Coming Home May 16, 2034

Thursday

“Oh Daddy, that’s priceless!” Susanna laughed, leaning over to give her father a hug.

Daddy, Urs, and Susanna sat in the sunny, fragrant kitchen having a mid-morning coffee along with mini-cinnamon rolls she managed to hide from the rest of the family.

“So you were worried about telling Jon about wanting to move to this retirement village,” Urs pointed to several brochures and pictures on the table, “and Jon was worried how you’d get on once he started doing his internship.”

“We just didn’t want him to think he was getting the ‘bum’s rush’ you know,” John Nelson explained.

Susanna watched several expressions slide across Urs’ face as his brain processed ‘bum’s rush’. I’ve heard this before. Yes! Our first Christmas she picked me up when I got back from Switzerland. That’s when she gave me Swampy the toy alligator. She explained ‘bum’s rush’ when she sent me home to pack. Urs signaled the moment of recognition with a faint smile, lovingly returned by his wife.

In the meantime, John was on a roll,“Then when Doris and Barney Gardner moved to The Villages they kept after us to come visit. What we saw really impressed us: restaurants, shops, doctors, you name it. Why you can drive your golf cart to most of them. How about that?” John paused to catch his breath.

“One of their model homes caught our eye and when Doris and Barney took us to lunch at their optional community dining room you should have seen Muz’s eyes light up. When we came home, the more we thought about it the more we were convinced it was for us,” he finished excitedly.

“Ka-lump, ka-lump,” hand in hand Muz and Marc entered the kitchen.

“You know I don’t believe I’ve ever heard nursery rhymes in French before. Has Lilly had Marc tested yet? I must mention that to Gabriel. I’m certain he must be gifted,” Muz pronounced as she sat down beside John, “and his coordination is exceptional. My word! He wouldn’t even let me help him put on his boots. Look, he’s got them on the right feet too.”

As they turned to look at Muz’s most exceptional great grandchild, they also observed the cause of the ka-lump. Marc was wearing a pair of Gabe’s cowboy boots.

Susanna reached for Urs’ hand and gave it a squeeze. The look they exchanged said it all, ‘Like father, like son’.

Marc rose up on tiptoes, gripped the edge of the table, and saw the cinnamon rolls, “Koo-kee, Ganpapi.” Susanna rolled her eyes; even at this tender age Marc had figured it out. It takes one Cookie Monster to know one.

Urs settled Marc on his lap and put a roll on a plate, making sure it was just out of reach of his busy hands. After seven children, this grandpapi stuff was a cinch. He cut the roll in small bites and slid the plate within Marc’s reach, casually holding onto the edge of plate as Marc pinched the first bite into his mouth.

“It was so busy in here at breakfast. Where is everyone?” Muz asked, as she stirred sugar into the coffee Susanna had placed in front of her.

“Probably off hiding from Noelle and her notorious wedding notebook,” Susanna chuckled. “Only kidding, let’s see. Brigitta and Matt have morning classes, Gabe and Lilly went into town to see friends and have lunch, the twins are sequestered upstairs debating who knows what, and Jon took off on his bike. I think he said something about practicing his putting. Imagine that!” she gave Daddy a broad smile.

“Don’t forget Karl,” Urs reminded her. “He took the minivan to pick up Carlos and his family. He seemed a bit…distracted this morning”, he chuckled. “No doubt thinking about Pilar.”

“I just hope he remembers to be back here by 1:30. I had to remind him three times. It’s been so long since we’ve seen Paloma and AJ. They must be quite grown-up by now. Let me think. Paloma is in between Karl and Jon so she must be 22 now which means little AJ must be 19, the same as Matt. Wow! I guess he’s not so little after all,” Susanna said in amazement.

Muz casually picked up one of the brochures lying on the table. “I see John has been telling you about our plans. We’d like to get started on them as soon as we get back home. What do you think?” Muz asked guardedly.

“I think it sounds like a perfect solution for you and Daddy…and Jon too,” Susanna smiled enthusiastically.

“Oh I’m so happy to hear you say that,” Muz said, the relief apparent on her face. “You see I..we are starting to realize that between his school, working at the golf club, and helping us, poor Jon didn’t have much opportunity to socialize with people his age. In fact seeing all the children together these past few days has made us understand how selfish it would be to continue to monopolize Jon’s time. We want him to know how much we appreciate all he’s done for us. He’s such a dear boy, so loving,” Muz said, squeezing Susanna’s arm.

“You know it’s not many young men his age who would be there for us like he has. You both can be proud of the fine children you’ve raised,” Daddy added as he looked at Urs and then Susanna.

Urs looked at Susanna and squeezed her hand, “Thank you wery much. Love and service to family is most important to Susanna and I and we are glad to see it passed on to our children,” Urs said proudly.

“So you won’t have to cook if you don’t want to, eh Muz? I know you’ll love that,” Susanna teased. “But if you do cook you have to promise us, …throw out leftovers, or at least label them for Pete’s sake!” she scolded as Muz blushed.

“Jon told you about the clam chowder, I expect. Well if you liked that one you’ll love the one about the oven fire,” she chuckled as Susanna and Urs’ eyes grew big.

“No, she didn’t burn the house down,” John said with amusement. “In fact when Jon and I saw the fire engine heading down our street he even joked, ‘I hope it’s not going to our house’.”

“The nice firemen had it all out by the time Jon and Daddy got here. It was just a little fire. You know how I always keep some pans in the oven? Well I forgot to take them out when I turned on the oven and this one cake pan had a plastic lid. That’s what started the fire. Silly me! I won’t do that again,” was Muz’s explanation and apology.

Under the table, Susanna released her death grip on Urs’ hand and began to breathe again. Urs looked over at her sympathetically. Yes, Muz and Daddy’s plan to move to The Villages was a good…on second thought make that a brilliant idea.

The huge red and blue painted clock on the tower showed exactly 3:00 when the Buhlers and the Rasts along with Jakob’s groomsman, Kurt Lautens, pulled up in front of Lucerne’s Altes Rathaus or Old Town Hall. Built in 1602 in the Italian Renaissance style with an overhanging roof, it served as an impressive venue for the brief civil ceremony.

While the guests waited in the reception area, Heidi, Jakob, and their witnesses Noelle and Jakob’s brother Walter met with the Registrar to sign the necessary paperwork.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Smalltownhall

Then everyone was escorted into a huge rather empty hall and seated on benches placed in rows on the highly polished parquet floor. The guests were reminded that photos were not allowed until the end of the ceremony. Then he motioned for the wedding party to stand before him and the ceremony began by him asking both the Bride and Groom to confirm that they were free to marry.

"I declare that I know of no legal reason why I, Jakob Lorenz, may not be joined in marriage to Heidi Elisabeth."

After the declarations, came the marriage contract.

“I call upon these persons here present to witness that I, Heidi, take you, Jakob, to be my wedded husband”.

As the Groom, Jakob spoke first as they exchanged rings and said their vows.

“Heidi, I take you to be my wife, I promise to love you, honour and respect you. I will stand by you and be true to you always. I give you this ring as a symbol of my love and faithfulness and I ask you to wear it as a reminder of the vows we have spoken today, our Wedding Day. Whatever life may bring I will always love you.”

Everyone in the room was aware of the Registrar making a short speech, but the only words they heard were ‘husband and wife’ and ‘You may now kiss the Bride’, which Jakob did with perhaps more enthusiasm than technique as cameras recorded the happy couple. Much later Urs demonstrated the correct Buhler kissing technique to the mother of his less than 20 children.

As husband and wife, Herr and Frau Jakob Rast, along with their two witnesses signed the register again and led the marriage procession out to the reception room to receive the hugs, kisses, and congratulations of their family.

When they arrived back at Urs and Susanna’s, everyone relaxed over champagne and hors d'oeuvres until the church rehearsal at 6:00. Lilly had been a little anxious about Nicolas staying with Anka, Susanna’s local babysitter when Marc came to visit, but she needn’t have worried. According to Anka both boys were good as gold. Well maybe Lilly should have been a little worried after all because it seems Nicolas insisted Goldi take a nap with Marc and him. Over in the corner Urs could be heard giving Gabe some fatherly advice: something about a vacuum with strong suction and plenty of drool towels.

“Sure tis you’re looking grand and himself too,” smiled Monsignor Mike as he released Susanna from his bear hug and grabbed Urs’ hand.

“You know Father Ludwig and I are due to retire next year. I don’t suppose we could interest any of you in a two for one deal and save us some time,” he twinkled as he and Father Ludwig held court in the back of the church.

Even in the semi-darkened vestibule Karl’s look of surprise and slightly flushed cheeks couldn’t escape Monsignor Mike’s keen eye. Discreetly but accurately he paired Pilar with her parents. Ah, Carlos, the Spaniard. Now where was he from? No matter. I’m sure they have some wonderful golf courses in Spain; after all they’d produced Seve Ballesteros hadn’t they?

After a few more minutes of introductions and an oral walk-through of what would take place during the ceremony, the two priests, Jakob, Walter, Kurt, and Gabe walked quickly up the aisle to take their places on the right side of the altar. Seb and Carlos, who had been conferring with the organist about their songs, stopped and sat down in the choir.

Since Karl and Jon would be ushering, the job of coralling Nicolas and Marc fell to hapless Matt. Nicolas, being a year older and therefore having passed through the terrible twos, proved to be no problem. He had quite willingly and proudly marched up the aisle holding Matt’s hand and was now sitting quietly in the pew right behind Susanna. Marc however demurred.

Only Lilly’s firm grip on his hand had prevented him from following Gabe up to the altar. If he couldn’t be Papi’s partner then he would have to be Mami’s and he certainly wanted no part of holding one of Matt’s hands, even if Nicolas was attached to other one.

Brigitta, Noelle, Heidi and Urs were lined up behind Lilly. It was time. Each of them had tried in their own way to gain Marc’s cooperation but even Urs’ offer to bring him up to sit in the pew with the ‘big boys’ had been rejected. After some anxious looks from the altar, Lilly bowed to pressure and started up the aisle, intending to drop off Marc as they got to Matt’s pew.

Urs and Heidi had taken two steps down the aisle when it happened. Any doubts as to the superb acoustics and echo transmission in Pauluskirsche were instantly dispelled. Marc was in full tizzy.

In that second, time stopped to reveal an encyclopedia of emotions: shock, embarrassment, frustration, amusement, and even physical pain. Gabe flew down the altar steps as if, please pardon the expression, the hounds of hell were after him. By the time he reached Marc, now alternately jumping up and down and clinging to Lilly, Gabe had taken a few deep breaths and was in control. Without a word he gently, but firmly separated mother and child and quickly escorted Marc to an empty pew and bent down for a quick conversation. Marc gave one last hiccough and quieted with a sigh as his chest rose and fell.

Gabe turned and began waking back toward the altar.

“Papi, you’re a grackle freak,” Marc commented from his Australian pew. Fortunately his words were delivered in his whisper voice, unfortunately he hadn’t accounted for the sound properties of the old church. His Papi had heard.

Gabe you are the father here. Keep walking, don’t turn around.

Gabe’s steps may have slowed, but to his credit he didn’t turn around as Monsignor Mike discreetly motioned for him to keep walking. The priest would have been fine if he hadn’t caught Urs’ eye. Hurriedly they both covered their grins with a hand. Yes, payback was a wonderful thing to behold.

The Buhlers and the Rasts looked around the small, elegant private room at the lively conversations, laughter, and smiles and agreed the rehearsal dinner had been a fitting start to the wedding festivities.

The excellent schnitzel and accompanying dishes, while not exotic, had been delicious and a perfect choice. After all you didn’t want to upstage the wedding reception menu. Urs the self-proclaimed dessert expert had given the chocolate torte with raspberry sauce ‘wery’ high marks. It was a dubious distinction however because as Mami put it, “My Urs has never met chocolate he didn’t like.” Susanna, seeing Urs eye the last bit of her apple pear strudel, quickly finished it before he could give that the Urs’ taste test.

During the meal, Heidi and Jakob sat at the head table flanked by their parents and the two priests. The remainder of the wedding party were interspersed among guests at the other tables allowing both families and guests to relax and get acquainted. Several of Jakob’s aunts, uncles, and cousins, a few friends and workmates of Heidi, and the Divos and their families were there. Only David and Sandy were missing since they weren’t arriving until tomorrow morning. Nanny T and Denis had arrived and along with the elder Buhlers were catching up on Muz and Daddy’s latest plans.

Now that the formalities had been taken care of, Heidi and Jakob visited each of the tables to give them a personal thank you for coming. Earlier, they had presented their bridesmaids and groomsmen with gifts.

Having grown up with the romantic story of Urs taking Susanna to the New Years Eve Ball in Vienna, both twins, but especially Heidi were steeped in the princess tradition. When Papi took to calling them his little princesses from time to time that cinched it. One day their Prince Charmings would ride their white chargers up to the castle etc. etc. etc.
So in keeping with the fairytale theme, each bridesmaid received a necklace with a wishbone charm set with pavé diamonds.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Bridesmaidgift

For his groomsmen, Jakob chose a more traditional yet elegant set of cuff links.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Groomensgifts

Following tradition, as father of the groom, Hugo Rast began with a formal toast to the couple. “It is written: when children find true love, parents find true joy. Here’s to your joy and ours.”

A few more traditional toasts were given and then it was time for Houdini and Bag Boy’s brood to take over. Several toasts were lost in the laughter, but Urs’ observation struck a chord, “A man’s wife has more power over him than the state has,” and earned him a thump on the arm as Susanna stood up. “May she share everything with her husband, including the housework,” she countered with a smug grin and sat back down amid groans from the men and applause from the women.

But it was Noelle who played the audience like a virtuoso, “It was nice growing up with someone like you – someone to lean on, someone to count on…someone to tell on!”

By about 10:00 most of the guests had drifted off, taking the party to the bar downstairs, other nightspots, or home to bed.

“I hope Heidi doesn’t have a late night,” Urs worried outloud as he drove his parents home.

“The girls don’t need to be at the spa until 11:00, Urs. Besides, Noelle is with her which means she’ll have her tucked in bed by midnight. Wouldn’t want the bride to turn into a pumpkin now would we?” but Susanna’s teasing barely raised a smile.

Susanna turned slightly toward the back seat and caught Mami’s eye.

“Uh, did you need her to do something before her spa appointment,Urs?” she asked cautiously.

“No…well ackshully I just thought I’d spend a little time with her before…” his voice trailed off.

“I’m sure Noelle will be getting her up early, Urs, if only to go over those plans of hers. She even has a list for Mami and me. You know I love her but sometimes she is a bit too…” Karl Buhler searched for the right word.

“Swiss?” Mami suggested innocently.

“I was going to say organized…yes, that’s it organized.” Karl stated emphatically,” case closed.

In the dark interior of the car neither man saw the eye roll performed by his wife.

Back to top Go down
Urs Suberbabe
Writers Group
Writers Group

PostSubject: Re: The Buhler Blogs   The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 12:33 am

The Buhler Bride
Coming Home May 17, 2034

Friday

The morning hush of dawn, the time when the nightbirds stop their noise and nestle into their days roost. Small day birds burst into song to greet the rosy glow. In the quiet cool of the morning when real life puts her feelings to the test, leather-clad Urs bent down to give his sleeping wife a kiss.

With still-closed eyes, Susanna’s arms reached out instinctively for him. As her fingers slid over the smooth leather she half-opened her eyes, “Make sure she’s back by 10, Bag Boy, or Noelle will hunt you down with her notebook.”

“I…How…,” he stammered as he zipped up his jacket and stretched his arms to adjust the sleeves.

With a little half smile Susanna closed her eyes, rolled toward Urs’ empty side of the bed, and snuggled into his pillow. “Magical, Bag Boy,” she mumbled in a muffled voice.

Urs didn’t even both to shake his head; he just smiled.

His hand was on the doorknob when, “Drive safely, Bag Boy. I love you,” came from somewhere under the covers.

“Ja, Houdini, I love you too.”

Carrying his boots, he walked quietly downstairs and into the kitchen. Goldi wandered in for her morning scratch as he was pulling them on. Her damp fur told him Heidi had let her out and was waiting. Hurriedly he filled the thermos he’d put next to the coffee maker last night, checked his back pocket for his wallet, and grabbed the coffee and his keys from the rack.

Squaring his shoulders, he took a deep breath and strode toward the garage where he knew she would be, already sitting on the bike, anxious to get on the open road. Today would be perhaps his toughest performance. This special day: the last day he would be the most important man in his daughter’s life.

Susanna loaded the last cup into the dishwasher and glanced out the kitchen window as she heard Urs’ bike. A few minutes later he and Heidi came walking toward the house arm in arm. Urs leaned his head down to catch something she said, they both laughed, and his hug tightened as he kissed the top of her head.

The breakfast crowd had come and gone, all except Karl, and only Urs and Heidi were left to feed. Susanna got mugs ready for them, refilled her own mug and sat down across from Karl. He was very quiet this morning and had been absentmindedly playing with his spoon for the last few minutes. She waited patiently.

Karl cleared his throat. Susanna looked up.

“Mami, I’m going to talk to him tonight,” Karl said in a tone reminiscent of a criminal saying he was going to turn himself in to the authorities.

“I think that’s the proper way to do it. I’m sure he’ll appreciate your gesture,” Susanna said in her praising school teacher voice.

“Talk to who?” Urs asked as he and Heidi walked into the kitchen, shrugging out of their jackets and hanging them on the back of the chair as they sat down.

Karl clapped his mouth shut as Urs looked from Karl to Susanna and back again.

Realizing he couldn’t put the genie back in the bottle, Karl heaved a sigh and prepared to tell all. Unfortunately he’d neglected the Thelma and Louise factor.

“Talk to Carlos about marrying Pilar, Papi,” Heidi aka Thelma enlightened her father.

“What? When did all this happen?” Urs the Unenlightened wanted to know.

“Can we see the ring? Please oh please, Karl. We promise we won’t tell, right Thelma?” Noelle’s voice along with the rest of her bounced into the kitchen, pulled up a chair, and held out her hand. Louise had arrived.

With an expression that said, ‘Just kill me now,” Karl leaned back, stretched out his legs, fished a small velvet ring box from his jean pocket, and laid it on the table.

Susanna’s hand snaked out over the box before either Thelma or Louise could snatch it and gave them both a look that said, ‘Now it’s Karl’s turn to speak.’

“When were you thinking of talking to him, sweetheart?”

“Well I thought I’d pick up Pilar a little early tonight. I’m taking her on a dinner cruise on the lake. I’ll ask him then. What do you think?” his anxious eyes looked around the table.

“Sounds good to me. But whatever you do don’t try to impress him by talking about the alpine salamander and its small distribution range,” advised Louise.

Then it was Thelma’s turn. “And for Gott’s sake don’t get started on the European free-tail bat expanding northward due to global warming. Honestly, Karl, sometimes you sound like the Swiss Paul Revere, ‘The European free-tail bats are coming! The European free-tail bats are coming!’”

I am proud of you for thinking of him. That is the proper way to do things…just as I did with your mother,” Urs quickly interjected as the twins caught their breath.

“Just make sure you ease into the conversation,” Susanna urged, giving his arm a little squeeze. “Even though you and Pilar have been seeing each other for almost two years, he still may be a little surprised. It’s not always easy for parents to admit that their children are all grown up,” she added with a gentle smile.

“It will be fine,” she whispered, rising to give him a hug and a kiss as she started breakfast for Urs and Heidi.

“NOW can we see the ring?” echoed Thelma and Louise, prompting a laugh from Urs.

“Only if you promise not to say anything to Carlos. Deal?” asked Karl warily as he clutched the ring box.

Not missing a beat the twins chanted, “Cross my heart and hope to die. Stick a needle in my eye.” Who said they were all grown up?

Karl opened the yellow velvet box slowly to reveal a round diamond in an antique setting with tiny channel cut diamonds on the band.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 RingfromKarl

Everyone oohhhed and aahhhed as it was passed around and Noelle was even granted a quick try on, under the watchful eye of her younger brother.

“I think I’ll just go put it away now. Pilar is coming over later to help us practice for the entertainment tomorrow at the reception and I want it to be a surprise,” Karl said seriously, checking that Thelma and Louise understood.

Urs rose to follow Karl upstairs to change and they both almost made their escape…almost.

“Before you leave I just need to go over a few little things on our wedding list. It won’t take a minute,” declared Noelle, opening the notebook.

“Tell me again how HER notebook got to be OUR notebook,” Urs muttered under his breath to Karl.

“I heard that Papi and I’m certain you want things to go smoothly tomorrow so we just need to be sure we’re all on the same page. Now let’s see what’s first on our list,” and with that opening volley, Noelle the Little General began marshalling her troops.

Gabe - pick up David and Sandy at the airport. Check
Heidi, Noelle, Brigitta and Lilly - Palace Spa at 11:00. Check
Mami - meet at 11:30 with caterers. Check
Papi - meet at noon with people with tents for reception. Check
Gabe, Karl, Jon, Matt, Noelle, Brigitta, and Pilar – meet at 4:00 to practice entertainment for reception. Check

The orders having been given, the soldiers made their way to their duty stations to begin their assignments.

“Who was that on the phone?” asked Urs from under his towel as he dried his hair.

“Which time?” Susanna, leaned her head to one side as she put on her earring.“The first one was Gabe saying he’d dropped David and Sandy at their hotel and they’d meet us tonight at 7:00 at the hotel bar for drinks.”

“Is Laci with them?” Urs inspected his five o’clock shadow now looking more like 3 AM and decided he’d wait and shave later. The workmen setting up tables, chairs, and tents certainly didn’t need impressing.

“No, I think David said something about final exams, but he sounded pleased as punch that she’s following in his footsteps at Oberlin.”

“Then Carlos called to see if you needed any help. I told him to come on over. I think he was at loose ends. Gavina, Juliana, Amelie, and Isabel are shopping this morning and I’m meeting them for lunch as soon as I get finished with the caterers. Gisela has cleared out space for them but she promised to stay around in case they have more questions.”

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Spa2

“This is absolutely the BEST!” exclaimed Brigitta as she helped herself to the light buffet set out along the wall. Heidi, Noelle, and Lilly agreed heartily as they sat on the gold and brown striped tables drinking wine.

The attendant knocked discreetly and entered the dimly lit massage room carrying a single red rose and a card.

“Oooooo!” squealed the three turbaned women as they surrounded Heidi.

Crying, laughing, smiling, Heidi left the others, admiring her rose and mooning over the romance of it all, and sat apart to read the note.

‘I am counting the hours,
All my love,
Jakob’

Clutching the note to her heart, she smiled dreamily, thinking of the wonderful man she would love for the rest of her life…and the wonderful man who had loved her from the first moment of hers. She reached into the pocket of her terrycloth wrapper and took out her phone.

Susanna pulled her dress over her head, walked into the bathroom, and stood wordlessly with her back to Urs, waiting for him to zip up her dress. Just then the phone rang a third time.

Susanna picked up the phone, “Hello?”

“Oh sweetpea don’t cry. Calm down and tell me,” she sank down on the bed.

With bare feet and shirtless, wearing his worried look, Urs hurried over, still buttoning up his jeans, and sat down next to his wife on the bed.

“That is so romantic. What a wonderful man you’ve got there dear,” Susanna turned to Urs and smiled reassuringly.

“Yes, he’s right here. Just a sec,” and she handed the phone to Urs. “It’s Heidi.”

“Ja? Danke, liebe. But for what?” The puzzled look on Urs’ face turned to astonishment as he brought the phone down from his ear. Heidi had hung up.

“Bag Boy, you are the sweetest, most romantic Swiss wombat in the world! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Susanna exclaimed, punctuating her thank yous with very appreciative kisses as she pushed him down on the bed.

Now Urs was even more confused, appreciative but still confused. Why had Heidi been crying? Why were they both thanking him? What had he done?

“That was so sweet of you to put a bug in Jakob’s ear about the rose,” gushed Susanna.

Reflexively a hand checked his own ear…just in case. Suddenly his brain registered the last part of her sentence.

“The ROSE! That’s what this is all about. So he sent one to the spa; good for him. Red, I hope,” Urs beamed with pride. His star pupil had aced his first test.

“Of course it was red, her favorite…and yours too,” she smiled as she lifted his arm and snuggled into his bare chest.

“Remember all those beautiful roses and love notes you gave me at the spa?” Susanna sighed as she gave Urs a hidden kiss.

“I really surprised you didn’t I?” Urs smiled, looking inordinately pleased with himself.

“I just about un-chocolated myself when that one was delivered! I was the envy of every woman at the spa.”‘I still feel envied,’ said her kiss.

“I never told you but I kept checking to be sure they were delivered,” he confessed, as he began delivering slow kisses down her neck.

“And then in the elevator with my bouquet of roses…” Susanna smiled dreamily.

“I was so nervous waiting at your bedroom door with the last rose,” Urs confessed.

Their world class reminiscing was rudely interrupted by a knock at the bedroom door followed by Matt’s voice, “Papi, Carlos is here.”

“Schiesse! Just like when they were toddlers,” Urs observed, as he jumped up, grabbed a t-shirt and headed toward the door as Susanna quickly disappeared into the bathroom.

“To be continued, Houdini,” he called over his shoulder as he opened the door.

“Sorry to disturb you, Papi,” Matt grinned as Urs finger-combed his hair and tucked it behind his ears.

Scrabbling to regain at least some of his dignity, Urs decided that the best defense was a good offense. “That’s alright, Matt. By the way aren’t you supposed to be watching Marc?”

“Right now he’s with ‘Unca’ Carlos but Grandmuz said to bring him up to the cottage so I could help when they set up the tents. Besides the swings and sandbox are up there. Oh… and Papi?” Matt cleared his throat.

“Yes Matt what is it?” Urs answered a little impatiently, not wanting to keep Carlos waiting thereby giving him an excuse to razz him.

“Uh, Papi, I think you missed a button,” Matt whispered softly as he turned and bounded down the stairs. He was still grinning as he scooped Marc up on his shoulders for a horsey ride to the cottage.

Susanna hummed to herself as she poured chocolate mint bubble bath into the steaming water. Yes, today had gone well. The caterers had everything in hand and the tents were ready for the reception.

The girls had arrived back, plucked, fluffed, softened, and pampered, just in time for the surprise entertainment practice. Judging from Pilar’s encouraging comments as stage director and the intermittent laughter coming from the tent, the practice had been a success.

Karl, well scrubbed and immaculately groomed, had passed Urs’ inspection and presumably received some fatherly words of advice and encouragement. Karl had also been blessed by his mother in the form of a little bug in Gavina’s ear at lunch. After all it never hurts to grease the drawbridge before the handsome knight rides through the portcullis to ask King Carlos for the hand of his eldest daughter, the fair Pilar.

Karl stood at the door of the suite, shook out his shoulders in an attempt to calm his nerves, took a deep breath, and knocked.

Hearing the knock, Gavina whispered to Carlos, “Now please be polite.”

Carlos looked over his newspaper with a puzzled expression, “What are you saying? I’m polite always, querida. It is only Karl, no?” What is this polite she is worrying? I know him since before he is born. I have been Unca Carlos to all the children…well not so much since he and Pilar see each other. I do not need my wife to remember the politeness.

“Hola, Karl, come in, come in,” boomed Carlos as he opened the door and gave him his most polite handshake.

“Good evening, Sir…I mean Senor Ca..Carlos,” stumbled Karl. Since he’d dropped the Unca, it had always been just Carlos, but somehow tonight seemed to warrant more formality.

Carlos eyebrows rose a fraction at the formal title but he said nothing. Perhaps Karl had recently taken to being more formal. Was this what Gavina meant by Carlos being polite? Carlos thought back to earlier today when he had been helping Urs with the reception tents; Karl had seemed a little preoccupied and distant even then. Perhaps he had something on his mind. No doubt about his job. That young man was always so serious about those plants and animals he studied.

Karl greeted Gavina and sat on the sofa that she indicated. Carlos cast a longing glance at the newspaper he’d hastily put down. How he wanted to finish reading that article about his beloved team Real Madrid, but of course that wouldn’t be polite.

“I’m afraid Pilar didn’t expect you so early. She’s not quite ready. I’ll just go see if I can speed her along, shall I?” Gavina recited as if it were a speech. As she passed Karl on the way to Pilar’s bedroom she gave Karl’s arm an encouraging squeeze and was rewarded by a weak smile.

“So the work for you it goes well, no?” Carlos asked tentatively, testing the waters.

“What? I mean pardon. Oh yes, I’ve just finished my field work and I’ll be awarded my European Master of Agro-ecology certification next month. I’ve accepted a teaching post at the University of Bern in September and I’m also working on a research project involving the Hoopoe. Did you know it’s one of the most endangerd birds in Switzerland?” Karl’s answer left him breathless and Carlos’ mind boggling.

The merry-go-round in Carlos’ skull was slowing to a stop as Karl plunged forward. Following Papi’s suggestion, he’d told Carlos of his job qualifications, all-important in proving he was capable of supporting a wife; now to lead in to the big question.

”You know, sir, Pilar and I have been seeing each other for more than 2 years,” Karl began.

“Si, you play together also when little, in the summers when we make the visits,” Carlos added, taking his own trip down memory lane.

”Yes, that’s true, but now things have changed,” Karl said solemnly, leaning across the coffee table toward Carlos on the opposite sofa.

Carlos’ tan became a shade darker as his face flushed with suffused blood.
“¡Qué! ¿Cómo?” What change? Always they have been friends since childrens, laugh, play. Then they grow up; they go out: talk, dance, eat, party. Now he wants to do the changing? Does he not wish to see her now? My beautiful girl, my angel? Who is this foolish boy who breaks my daughter’s heart?

“As…as I said, sir, during those 2 years we’ve, that is I…,” Karl momentarily closed his eyes and took a gulp of air to steady his nerves, “ I love your daughter, sir, and I’d like your permission to marry her,” he finished strong and triumphantly. For better or worse he’d done it. Then he waited and…waited.

Carlos’ face blanched.
¡Qué! This cannot be! First I think he wants to not see her. This was better,no?. Now he say he wants to be su marido, her husband. He wants to be doing the seeing all the time. And Pilar, she is doing the looking too, but my little flower, my first child, just 23, to be una esposa, so young…

Carlos finally found his voice, his booming fatherly voice, “You have done the talking to Pilar about this, si?”

“Yes, no, well we’ve talked about marriage but I haven’t formally asked her, sir. I wanted to do it the proper way, to get your permission first,” Karl explained respectfully.

“Pilar has these feeling of love for you, si?” Carlos question was more of a statement. He had seen the glow of love in Pilar’s eyes when she looked at Karl and the adoring look she received in return.

“Yes, sir, she does.”

“Si, then I give you my permission, but if you…”

“Oh no sir, I mean yes sir, thank you sir,” Karl grabbed Carlos’ hand and worked it like a pump handle. The entrance of Pilar and Gavina thankfully interrupted them.

Seeing Karl’s ear-to-ear grin, Pilar launched herself around Carlos’ neck and bombarded him with kisses and rapid fire exclamations while Gavina gave her future son-in-law a kiss on the cheek and a hug. Then mother and daughter traded places for more hugging and kissing. Ever mindful of Carlos’ watchful eye, Karl made certain their kiss was of the polite variety.

Somehow champagne appeared and a toast was made to the happy couple.

Carlos stopped in mid-sip, “You aren’t planning the wedding surprise?” he accused, looking from one to the other.

“Of course not, Papa. Heidi’s wedding will be the only one…for awhile,” Pilar said looking at Karl as she spoke. “We can talk about ours next week before you go back to Madrid.”

Relieved, Carlos finished his champagne and offered to refill their glasses but they needed to leave to catch the dinner cruise in the hotel lobby.

“A wedding, Carlos. Our little girl is getting married!” Gavina exclaimed excitedly. “Isn’t that wonderful?”

“Si, es wonderful,” Carlos replied still looking a little shell-shocked.

“And such a proper young man, asking your permission. Don’t you appreciate that?” Gavina asked, beating the drum for Karl.

“Si, but she is so young. We were not so young.”

“You’re right, Carlos, we were older but as I recall you didn’t ask my father’s permission. In fact you lured me to Los Angeles with some story, proposed to me, and then had the wedding all planned for the next day, complete with my family. And you ask them about a surprise wedding? At least we will be able to help plan their wedding and remember you won’t be losing her. She’ll always be your little girl,” Gavina rationalized, as she held him and rubbed his back in soothing circles, feeling the tension subside.

“Si, you are right, mi querida. But did you not like the surprise of our wedding?” Carlos held her a little away from him and looked down at her anxiously.

“You know I loved our surprise wedding. It was perfect, Carlos - spontaneous, romantic, and a dream come true, just like you, mi amor,” she beamed as she reached up to meet his kiss.

“Mami, Papi, what are you doing here?” Karl asked as he and Pilar practically bumped headlong into them coming out of the revolving door in the lobby.

“Your Mami just couldn’t wait to hear how it went,” Urs exaggerated. “So…?”

Susanna poked Urs in the ribs. “You looli, you can see by their faces. Have you ever seen two happier people?”

“Yes, he said yes, Mami!” Karl grinned as he lifted Susanna off the floor in a hug while Urs kissed Pilar on both cheeks and hugged her.

“Welcome to our family, dear heart. You will make Karl a wonderful wife,” a teary-eyed Susanna smiled warmly as the two women in Karl’s life hugged and kissed while father and son hugged, back-slapped, and traded congratulations and thank yous. Mission accomplished: another of the less than 20 Buhler children had found their mate.

David, Sandy, Seb, Juliana, Urs and Susanna all waited patiently in the hotel lounge for Carlos and Gavina. Finally Urs couldn’t stand it any longer. He was bursting to share the good news but knew Carlos would want to do it, so after 15 minutes and several zinging speculations about why they were late, Urs went to the desk and called their room. They were down in less than 10 minutes: a stil dazzling Gavina and a pale imitation of Carlos.

Once all the hugs and hellos had been exchanged, they moved into the lounge for a pre-dinner drink.

Never one to beat around the bush, David began fussing as soon as they sat down,“Carlos, buddy, what’s wrong? Are you sick?”
Carlos traded a look with Urs who nodded as if to say ‘Go ahead.’

“No, no, I am fine,” he smiled, barely opening his mouth. Seeing the relieved faces around the table seemed to perk him up a bit and his voice became stronger even as his smile widened. “This afternoon Karl asked for the hand of my…our daughter Pilar and…and I said yes.” He ended his performance on a high note and took an imaginary bow amid congratulations, questions, and a barrage good-natured teasing.

“How long…”

“When did…”

“Where will…”

Then Seb led off the teasing and was joined by Urs, “Welcome to the Il Divo Lost Daughter Club”.

Then Urs and Carlos got razzed about becoming fathers-in-law and finally David awarded them new nicknames. Urs and Carlos, the soon to be fathers of the bride became ‘Going’, and Seb, having a married daughter already, became ‘Gone’.

“Thank God marriage isn’t in Laci’s immediate future, right Sandy?” David bragged, perhaps a bit too prematurely.

“Sandy? Say something!” David pleaded.

“How about fathers are the last to know, Davey?” she laughed and was quickly joined by the rest of the table, even David…eventually. They were still joking and smiling as they followed their waiter to the table.

Bag Boy and Houdini lay spooned together after their final kiss, relaxing in the warmth of each other’s bodies and the satisfied glow from Karl’s announcement. His romantic dinner cruise proposal had been a wonderful success and tomorrow Pilar would be wearing his ring for all to see.

“Houdini?”

“I’m still here, Bag Boy.”

“Will you forgive me?”

“For what?” Susanna turned her head around to see him.

“Remember when Gabe got married? I thought I understood how you felt, but I didn’t…until now.”

“I know Bag Boy. I couldn’t explain it but now we both know.”

“This morning…when we went for a ride…”

“Glaubenberg?”

“She told you?”

“I figured it out, Bag Boy. It gets easier after awhile.”

He could feel her body chuckle. He kissed her hair and pulled her tighter to him.

“Houdini, I miss her already.”

“I know, Bag Boy, but she’ll always be your little girl you know…in your heart.”

“She told me,” Susanna could feel a deep shudder as he regained control of his shaky voice, “she told me I would always be the first man she fell in love with.”

Wordlessly, she turned to face him. Welcoming him into her arms, he lay his head on her chest and let his emotions flow as she stroked his hair and gently soothed them to sleep.

The Buhler Bride
The Big Day May 18, 2034

Saturday

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Image6

At exactly 8:20 Susanna poked her head into the twins’ old bedroom, “Are you almost ready? Your Papi and Brigitta are sitting in the car waiting. Your schedule did say 8:30, right Noelle?”

“Yes, Mami we’ll be there in a minute. We’re just checking to be sure we have everything we need to dress at the church,” Heidi explained as she put her wedding shoes into a large tote bag. “Now where were we?” she asked, turning back to Noelle who was checking off items on her ever present list.

“Bra,” Heidi carefully placed that into the bag.

“Check.”

“Stockings and garter belt,” she gently folded these and added them on top.

“Check.”

“Panties.” Heidi’s hand reached out to pick them up.

“Oh, you don’t ne…” Susanna’s lips froze as she looked from one twin to the other and started again. “You don’t need me to tell you how beautifully those match the lace on your stockings. Just look here.” Susanna reached into the bag, hastily pulled out a stocking and laid it next to the panties on the bed.

Thelma and Louise eyed their Mami suspiciously. “Ma-mi?” came their long drawn-out response, half question, half accusation. Susanna played the nonchalant card which was immediately trumped by the twins as they stood there with bat wings and patience riveling Susanna’s, waiting for an explanation.

“Oh all right,” Susanna said, realizing it was no use bluffing. She certainly didn’t want an impatient Urs walking in on this conversation. “When I got married, I decided, well actually it was Marissa who convinced me, it would be less of a hassle in the bathroom if I didn’t wear panties. So I didn’t. End of story,” she finished with a sigh of relief.

“I’ll bet Papi was surprised,” teased Thelma, as she tried to picture Jakob bug-eyed and slack-jawed.

“Oh yes, but he recovered quickly. Well he had to, with everyone watching.” Why are they staring at me like I’m demented?

“Watching?” croaked Thelma and Louise in a duet of disbelief.

“Of course watching. I warned him but unfortunately that was before he learned to listen to me. He thought he’d be cute at the reception when he pulled off my garter,” Susanna recounted matter-of-factly.

“What did he say?” Thelma quizzed, looking at Susanna with new-found respect.

Susanna smiled as she returned again to their wedding almost 30 years ago. “He asked if I had any other surprises for him and I said only for the next hundred years or so.”

“Mami, think I can be as awesome as you some day?” asked Heidi as she made a point of putting the little scrap of lace into her honeymoon suitcase, not her tote bag for the church.

Susanna wrapped her arms around the girls, “You are awesome already…both of you,” she smiled with a squeeze and a kiss.

She released them and turned to leave, “I’ll tell Papi you’re on your way down.” At the door she paused and looked over her shoulder, “Remember Heidi your hundred years starts today.”

Heidi had dutifully supplied answers to Noelle’s, “Old, new, borrowed, blue,” as her maid of honor checked them off the list and reluctantly relinquished her notebook to the safekeeping of Gisela.

Only a few mintues ago, as promised, had the last of these four elements been supplied by Sigrid Rast, Jakob’s mother, as she spoke privately with Heidi in the anteroom of the church.

“My dear, I would be honored if you would carry this handkerchief as something old. It was embroidered by my grandmother and handed down to my mother, then to me, and now I give it to you. When your child finds true love, parents, and especially a mother, finds true joy. I want to thank you for giving us such joy by loving our Jakob. Gott bless you child.”

Heidi accepted this heartfelt token of acceptance. Clutching the intricately embroidered lace-edged square, soft with age yet still dazzling white, the two women in Jakob’s life, opened their arms to each other. They stood there embracing, one a span to his past, the other to his future, forming a new structure soon to be opened with the joyous proclamation of ‘I do.’

Now the bride-to-be stood serenely in the back of the church like a breathtaking white blossom. Lost in her thoughts, she was oblivious to the flitting and buzzing human hummingbirds fluffing, adjusting, rearranging and taking their places for the bridal procession.

Her hands automatically grasped the bouquet Anka, her assistant at Blatter und Blumenblatter (Leaves and Petals), gave her. Then with a mental shake she returned to this moment in time and smiled the radient and timeless smile of a bride about to walk up the aisle to meet her waiting soulmate, her love, her life, her husband.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Scan0002

‘Just like before a concert,’ Urs thought as he released a deep, relaxing breath, squared his shoulders and waited for his cue. Noelle was approaching the second set of flower-decorated pews when Urs squeezed Heidi’s hand and leaned over to kiss her cheek. “Are you ready my beautiful Buhler bride?” he asked with a misty-eyed smile.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 BeautifulBuhlerBride

“I love you Papi. Ja, I’m ready,” his Princess smiled as she blinked back tears, kissed his cheek and stepped onto the aisle runner to meet her waiting Prince.

Urs’ mind raced in inverse proportion to the measured speed of his steps. He smiled, he looked happy, he was happy, but oh his mind…

So today begins a new chapter in your life.

I remember when you were mein süsses kleines Mädchen, my sweet little girl, as much a part of me as my right arm. My every breath and step held you in mind. Then suddenly, one morning you were grown. I was not finished with you.

But we must love our children enough to let them go; only in my heart you will always be my little girl. Before I was a father I didn’t know I was capable of feeling so much love. I didn’t know it would feel like having my heart outside my body.

The blue eyes of the tall, blond, Prince, caught the first glimpse of white and time stopped. Jakob held his breath, feeling his heart expand as the gossemer vision filled the arch. His inward smile spread from heart to face as the truth of his neverending love reached out in joy to welcome his bride.

Solemnly, with infinite tenderness and deliberation, Urs unveiled the small, beautiful gift of his daughter, full of promise and hope beyond expectation. Then with a final kiss he turned and joined her hand to Jakob’s waiting one with a tiny nod of finality. Ever the professional, his voice did not betray him as he affirmed the gift of his daughter from Susanna and himself and took his place next to her in the pew.

With a quick smile for his wife, the patriarch discreetly surveyed the wedding party proudly and leaned forward slightly to check on Marc farther down the pew. Perhaps is was the fact that grand-mère and père Neubert, Lilly’s parents, were on either side of him or maybe he was having flashbacks of his Australia visit, but his behavior, at least for the moment was impeccable…well except for that slight lapse when he and Urs traded a surreptitious blinky-wink.Urs’ chest rose and fell in a satisfied sigh as he focused his attention back to the celebration, never letting go of Susanna’s hand as they drew comfort and support from each other.

The liturgy continued interspersed with the marriage ritual: intentions, consent, “What God had joined man must not divide,” and the blessing and exchanging of their rings. Heidi and Jakob’s responses were heartfelt, yet strong and clear as the guests nodded in agreement, either from memory or blessing. Again Monsignor Mike blessed their union in song as Susanna and Urs sat up a tiny bit straighter, their love showing in every glance and smile, a living testament to those hopes for them given so long ago in that same melody.

It seemed the regular liturgy had just resumed, when Urs and Susanna heard, “We would like to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Jakob Rast.” It was over. The mother and the father of the bride had survived and along with Monsignor, this time no one attempted to hide their tears of joy.

As the newly weds emerged to stand on the top step of the church their joy turned to laughter as they walked the gauntlet between two rows of Heidi’s colleagues from her flower shop and favorite nursery. Dressed in their finest overalls and armed with every imaginable color of gladioli, they saluted the bride and groom. It seemed the Swiss tradition of Spalierstehen was alive and well on this sunshiny May afternoon.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 WeddingGuestsREADY6x10

The guests mingled and refreshed themselves with hors D’ourves and welcome drinks as they wandered among the tables and chairs set up outdoors around the tents for refreshments and dancing.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 WeddingPartyLineupREADY

The wedding party had just arrived back from the church. Gabe and Lilly went to check on Marc. Brigitta could hardly wait to find her friends and tell all about her partner, Kurt Lautens, an old school friend of Jakob’s. The bride and groom had a throng of well-wishers to thank and Noelle needed to check her notebook and find Viktor, not necessarily in that order.

As Urs and Susanna moved into the house to check on dinner preparations they silently blessed Noelle and her dreaded notebook. Everything was running like a well-oiled clock…Swiss of course, with Gisela the timekeeper pro tem.

Marc had timed his exemplary church behavior to run out precisely at the final blessing. No problem because he was scooped up by Gisela and wisked out the side door before anyone knew what was happening, least of all Marc. She was hurrying back to help ‘supervise the caterers’, as soon as the ceremony was over anyway and all Marc cared about was having the freedom to be a two year old again. He had fallen asleep on the drive home and was now having a nice long nap in preparation for the evening’s entertainment, especially the fireworks.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 CrazyCaterers2READY

Noelle checked the time and beamed her approval with a slight nod as the best man, Walter Rast, tapped his glass for everyone’s attention. The guests, well fed and relaxed, looked up expectantly as he began his toast.

“May the joys you share today be the beginning of a lifetime of great happiness and fulfillment. May all your hopes and dreams come true, and may the memory of this day become dearer with each passing year. To Heidi and Jakob.”

With that opening sentiment, Uncle Fritz rose to give his traditional Buhler toast. As he finished, amid a chorus of congratulations, Urs leaned over to whisper to Susanna, “More than yesterday, less than tomorrow, Houdini.” Then rising in one fluid motion, he looked over to the happy couple. Had little Brigitta been there to record the moment she’d surely have drawn stars coming from his eyes, such was the love and pride he radiated.

“May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years. Remind yourself often of what brought you together. When you encounter difficulty as we all do at one time or another, focus on what is right between you, not only the part which seems wrong. Take responsibility for the quality of your life together and you will be blessed with abundance and happiness. To Heidi and Jakob.”

“Wow! I’m impressed: Urs waxing eloquent. What’s come over our taciturn tenor?” David asked as he set down his glass and looked at the other Divos and their wives.

“I expect it might have something to do with his seven children and one grandchild,” Juliana answered drily. “Would you agree mon amour?”

“But of course! When your children marry and you become le père grand you want to share your ‘appiness with everyone,” Seb said enthusiastically as he gestured with wide-open arms, narrowly missing a passing woman with his champagne glass.

Carlos deftly took the glass in mid-swing and placed it safely on the table. “I am already knowing the how of showing great happiness,” he declared emphatically.

“But soon we shall know even more, my love,” soothed Gavina as she patted his hand and motioned with her head towards Karl and Pilar seated closely together two tables away. While Carlos’ expression could not be described as unhappy, it was clear his great happiness quota was full up at the moment.

David could feel a bubble of laughter beginning, then just as suddenly it dissolved as he was jolted back to reality. All too soon it would be his turn. Perhaps this would be the perfect time for more champagne. He raised his arm to beckon a passing waiter.

In Switzerland, a wedding isn’t complete without amateur entertainment. Gabe set the stage for the fun to begin as he called the bride and groom to stand before the guests.

“Jakob, take Heidi’s hand and place your hand over hers.” Dutifully, Jakob the Innocent obeyed as Heidi waited for the punch line. She knew Gabe too well to doubt there would be one. “Now, remember this moment and cherish it…because this will be the last time you’ll ever have the upper hand!” The guests roared in knowing agreement as Gabe kissed his little sister and gave his private congratulations to the couple.

Then several guests recited poems, performed songs, played musical instruments, and presented elaborate homemade gifts, all honoring or poking fun at the bride and groom. Finally it was time for the tribute from the Buhler children to their sister and her husband: a reenactment of the wooing and winning of the Princess bride by Prince Jakob.

While the children disappeared into a tent to get ready, two kitchen chairs, decorated to look like thrones were brought out and placed in front of the head table. From the tent came the strains of the triumphal march from Aida as King Gabe, as Urs, and Queen Elle, as Susanna, processed to their thrones with as much pomp and circumstance as they could, considering the grass and wobbly crowns.

The fair Princess Heidi, played by Brigitta with a long blonde wig and dressed in lavender, joined Queen Elle in royal purple and King Gabe. Trumpets sounded as King Gabe raised the royal scepter. Let the wooing and winning begin.

A cheer went up from the audience as the first suitor appeared: Karl dressed in knightly costume bearing a wheelbarrow of gifts worthy of a princess. With Swiss precision he stacked his offering before the king, 10 gold painted bricks.

The Princess looked hopefully at the Queen. The Queen looked hopefully at the King, but alas the scepter descended in dismissal as the rejected suitor hurriedly gathered his gold and left with the guests boos and hisses still ringing in his ears.

The next knight to ask for the fair damsel’s hand was Jon. He arrived proudly leading a rather reluctant prize offering for the hand of the maiden. Howls of laughter greeted him.

Poor Goldi was adorned within an inch of her life to look like a prize milk cow. Stiffened cloth horns were precariously perched atop her head and held on by an elastic band under her lower jaw. Between the horns, flowers were woven into her fur and around her neck hung a cowbell. Clever Jon had filled his pockets with treats to discourage her from rolling on the grass in an attempt to remove her annoying adornments. Her doggie expression required no translation: ‘See what I go through for My Peepul.’

Alas, the fair Princess and the Queen again had their hopes dashed as once more the scepter descended and the hapless knight slunk away in disgrace to the utter joy of his offering who quickly unadorned herself.

Was there never to be an adequate gift, an acceptable offering worthy of Princess?

Matt, the last knight, strode confidently toward the exacting king. The crowd quieted in anticipation. Surely this young lad could not hope to succeed with such a paltry gift, a small silver-domed vessel easily carried in his two hands. Yet see how the king leans forward in eager expectation as the gift is revealed. His hand tightens on the royal scepter and raises it higher and higher as the crowd breaks into thunderous applause. The gift has been deemed a fitting tribute for the hand of the fair Princess.

One glance toward the King tells the Queen what she must do. Quickly she steps forward and joins the hand of the Princess with that of the handsome and cunning Knight and raises them high as a sign of the betrothal…while the King clasps his treasure to his chest and decides which cookie to eat first.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 WeddingFantasyREADY

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 HeidiJakobsWeddingCakeedited

“There you are Heidi and Jakob. I’ve been looking for you everywhere. It’s been over half an hour since you cut the cake. It’s time to throw the garter and your bouquet; then comes your Dances and the fireworks. You really should leave while they’re going on since you need to change first before you drive to Zurich. Oh and don’t forget you owe me big time for locking your getaway car in the garage. The boys all had that toilet paper look in their eyes…especially Matt. You’d better get started. I see Papi and the others are getting ready.”

Heidi and Jakob excused themselves from the group at the table and took their place on the wooden dance floor. Fortunately Jakob was not as adventurous as his father-in-law so the garter was retrieved quickly, prompted by several ‘helpful’ suggestions and much teasing. Standing back to back everyone helped them count to three as they threw the bouquet and garter over their shoulders. Even with some scuffling, it was a foregone conclusion as Karl and Pilar won their prizes, with a little help from the Buhlers less than 20 children.

Then it was time Heidi and Jakob’s First Dance as man and wife. The four men took their places as they had hundreds of times and glanced at each other in preparation. Urs cued the music with a nod and Seb began.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 BlackBabyGrandroom3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3qW3BmRNg

HASTA MI FINAL = UNTIL THE END OF MY LIFE

Sebastien:
Tu lugar es a mi lado, .....................Your place is beside me
Hasta que lo quiera Diós... ............Until God wishes it to be so...
Hoy sabran cuanto te amo,...............Today they all will know how much I love you,
Cuando por fin seamos dos. ..........When, at last, we shall be (joined as) two.

Urs:
Y nunca estuve tan seguro ...............And I never was so sure
De amar asi, sin condición... ..........Of loving this way, unconditionally...
Mirandote mi amor te juro................Looking at you, my love, I promise you
Cuidar por siempre nuestra unión. ...That I will always take care of our union.

David:
Hoy te prometo ..............................Today I promise you
Amor eterno... .....................Eternal love...
Ser para siempre ............................To be forever
Tuyo en el bien y en el mal... .....Yours, through the good and bad...
Hoy te demuestro ...........................Today I show you
Cuanto te quiero, ..........................How much I love you,
Amandote hasta mi final. .........................(By) Loving you until the end of my life.

Carlos:
Lo mejor que me ha pasado .............The best thing to have happened to me
Fue verte por primera vez... ........Was seeing you for the first time...
Y estar asi de mano en mano ...........And to be this way, hand in hand
Es lo que amor siempre soñe. ........Is what, my love, I have always dreamed about.

All:
Hoy te prometo ...............................Today I promise you
Amor eterno... ......................Eternal love...
Ser para siempre .............................To be forever
Tuyo en el bien y en el mal... .........Yours, through the good and bad...
Hoy te demuestro ............................Today I show you
Cuanto te quiero ..............................How much I love you,
Amandote hasta mi final. ..............(By)Loving you until the end of my life.

All:
Amor eterno... ........................Eternal love
Ser para siempre .............................To be forever
Tuyo en el bien y en el mal... .... .....Yours, through the good and bad...
Hoy te demuestro ............................Today I show you
Cuanto te quiero ..............................How much I love you,
Amandote hasta mi final. .............(By)Loving you until the end of my life.

David:
Amor eterno... ........................Eternal love...
Amandote hasta mi final. .........(By) Loving you until the end of my life.

The guests were overjoyed to be treated to this surprise performance and showed their gratitude with a standing ovation. The men seemed to fall easily into old habits as they took a bow and smiled in pleasure at the applause. Il Divo had not lost their magic touch…at least as far as this audience was concerned.

Then it was time for the thing Urs had been dreading, yet anticipating all evening…his dance with Heidi.

Smiling rather shyly he opened his arms and she floated in. How many times had they practiced the steps, he patiently teaching, she eagerly learning as they danced around the music room? Surely it had not been that long since she’d stood on his feet and danced at some other wedding. Now, for this one last evening he would hold her in his arms and tell her a story about how she was born and how much he loved her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myO2e5Td3bg

I Loved Her First

Look at the two of you dancing that way
Lost in the moment and each others face
So much in love you’re alone in this place
Like there's nobody else in the world
I was enough for her not long ago
I was her number one
She told me so
And she still means the world to me
Just so you know
So be careful when you hold my girl
Time changes everything
Life must go on
And I'm not gonna stand in your way

But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
From the first breath she breathed
When she first smiled at me
I knew the love of a father runs deep
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it’s still hard to give her away
I loved her first

How could that beautiful women with you
Be the same freckle face kid that I knew
The one that I read all those fairy tales to
And tucked into bed all those nights
And I knew the first time I saw you with her
It was only a matter of time

But I loved her first and I held her first
And a place in my heart will always be hers
And I prayed that she'd find you someday
But it’s still hard to give her away
I loved her first

Someday you might know what I'm going through
When a miracle smiles up at you
I loved her first.

“All right, Bag Boy, my turn,” Susanna smiled softly as she tapped Urs on the shoulder and Jakob claimed his bride. The tiny dance floor suddenly became covered with couples that had been anxiously waiting their turn. As the music switched to an upbeat tempo, Urs steered Susanna toward a table.

“Thank you for rescuing me, Houdini. I don’t know how much longer I could have lasted out there,” he shook his head ruefully.

“You were magnificent, you silly wombat. I know you remember? You’d have stayed there till the bitter end if needs be. I just wanted to feel your arms around me, that’s all,” she said with a hug. With their arms still around each other, they moved back to toward their table. “She is a beautiful bride isn’t she Urs?” Susanna commented with pride.

“Ja, she is,” Urs sighed in agreement as he turned to face Susanna, “but to me you will always be the most beautiful Buhler bride,” he said simply as they kissed and held each other.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 MarcWeddingREADY

“Ganpapi! Ganpapi! Time for fire!” Marc insisted, pulling on Urs’ jacket and pointing at the darkening sky.

“I think you’re right, Marc,” Urs laughed as he swung him up onto his shoulders. “Let’s go find Auntie Elle shall we? It’s time for the fireworks!”

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Fireworks1

“Oh, Bag Boy! That feels sooooo good. Yes, right there. No lower, lower. Yes! Now harder! Oh that is so wonderful! Did I ever tell you how much I love your talented hands?”

Houdini smiled to herself. Her comments were having the desired effect. He was getting back to his old self as evidenced by the killer grin he was giving her.

“Why yes, as a matter of fact you have, Houdini,” he drawled, “especially when I rub your feet. I just hope I’m not losing my touch with the rest of you though.” Then with great difficulty he waited, straight-faced for her reaction.

The next thing he knew, instead of sitting opposite her with her foot on his knee as he massaged it, he was flat on his back covered with a Houdini blanket.

“Bag Boy, you’ll never lose your touch and I hope neither will I,” she said as her talented hands began to wander.

“Houdini, where did you ever…? Gott! Forget I asked. Just remember you’re married to an old gray-haired Grandpapi,” he chuckled or at least tried to since his breathing was being hampered by Houdini for several reasons.

Houdini abruptly sat back on her heels and put on her lecture face. “You may be a Grandpapi but you are not old and I love your hair and I love you. Why you’re my…my SSSF, yes that’s what you are and that will never change. So there!” she declared firmly. Case closed…well not quite.

Urs freed his arm from under her knee, crooked his finger for her to come closer and pointed to his ear.

Grinning, she bent down and whispered in his ear. He effectively silenced her giggles with a kiss, his fingers meshing in her hair, pulling her down to him as he began to live up to his new name –sexy Swiss silver fox.
Back to top Go down
Urs Suberbabe
Writers Group
Writers Group

PostSubject: Re: The Buhler Blogs   The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 am

The Buhler Bride
Old and New May 19, 2034

Sunday

Live in each season as it passes;
Breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit.

Henry David Thoreau

Noelle couldn’t stand it any longer. She passed the steaming bowl of mashed potatoes to Monsignor Mike’s waiting hands and began to beg, “OK GrandMuz, where did Heidi and Jakob go for their honeymoon? Heidi wouldn’t even tell me, her mirror twin, her other half, her ying…or is it yang, well anyway you know what I mean?”

Marian Nelson chuckled at her granddaughter. Actually she was surprised she’d lasted this long. “Alright”, she smiled as she checked the time on her wrist, “they’re safely in the air by now so I guess we can tell. Our wedding gift was a trip to the Seychelles.”

“Your grandmother remembered how crazy Heidi was about the beach whenever she’d come for a visit and we’d been on a cruise around the Seychelles several years ago. Remember when we went on that photo safari in Kenya? It was part of that vacation,” John Nelson explained.

“Brigitta, dear, if you bring me my purse, it’s on the floor by the sofa in the lounge, I think I still have the brochure.”

She almost knocked her chair over as she hurried to get the purse.

“Now let me see. Ah there it is. Isn’t it gorgeous? They have a villa right on the beach. Lovely isn’t it?” Muz sighed as the holiday booklet made its way around the table, accompanied by oh’s, ah’s and several dreamy looks from the women.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Banyan-treevilla

“It’s so romantic”, breathed Lilly as she showed it to Gabe. “Doesn’t it remind you of our honeymoon to the Greek Isles, darling?”

Gabe leaned over and gave her a kiss, “Seems like so long ago. Time sure flies when you have a little one, eh Marc?”

Marc commented by holding up part of the brussel sprout he’d been industriously ‘peeling’ for the last few minutes. If only he were that enthused when it came to the eating part. He was evidently not convinced that ‘whistling greens’, should be a vital part of this whistler’s diet. Perhaps this was one time when ‘like father, like son’ really did apply.

“Urs and I were thinking of going back with you and Daddy at the end of the week. We thought you might be able to use a couple of extra helpers when you move.”

“That would be so wonderful dear. I was hoping… but I know how busy you both are,” Muz sighed gratefully.

“Nonsense! We’d love to help and it will also give us a chance to get Jon settled in a place of his own,” Urs the Practical declared.

Susanna passed the potatoes to the end of the table, “Shame to see this last little bit go to Goldi, Monsignor Mike.”

He beamed his thanks as he scraped the rest of the bowl onto is plate. “That golfing place ya been talking about there John sounds like a little piece o’ heaven. Four golf courses, ya say, and ya ken drive yer golf cart on the streets?”

John gave Muz a tender look as he said hopefully, “That’s right, Monsignor. I might even get my wife out on the course…well at least into a golf cart.”

Monsignor Mike’s fork flew a few inside and outside loops as he twinkled, “I’m thinking ‘tis yer new house that’ll be needin’ a blessing and I might know just the man fer the job.”

“What a splendid idea! We’ll let you know when we’re settled and you can contact him. I hope he won’t be too busy,” Muz said playfully as she joined in the fun.

Not one to be out-shone, Monsignor Mike, as usual, had the perfect punch line. “’Tis for sure he’ll be free…and if he’s not then it’ll be me ta take his place,” he guaranteed as the table erupted with laughter and cheers.

“So does anyone have plans for tonight?” Urs looked expectantly at the younger ones, then realized what a stupid question that was. Of course they had plans; they always had plans. Where did they get all that energy?

“Jon and Brigitta are coming to my gig tonight, ” offered Matt as he half stood to reach across the table for the breadbasket and received a swat on the arm from Susanna for his trouble. He sat back down looking properly contrite as Monsignor Mike took pity on him and passed the rolls.

“And Matt has kindly invited Noelle and me to stop by for awhile. I’m afraid we can’t stay too long since we both have to be back to work tomorrow,” Viktor explained politely.

“Never apologize for not staying long when Matt’s playing, Viktor. I have it on good authority that a ruptured ear drum can be wery painful,” deadpanned Gabe as his raised eyebrows waited in anticipation of Matt’s comeback.

Matt shook his head in dismay, “It’s so sad when people age and lose their appreciation of the emotional power of an electric guitar, right Pa….” His voice came to a screeching halt. A sheepish grin spread over his face as he suddenly realized the absurdity of what he’d just said. Again the room rang with teasing laughter as Urs commented dryly that he must not be as old as he thought.

“Matt and Brigitta, will you please clear the table while I get dessert?”

“Now would ya be knowin’ I’ve used ya in a sermon or two over the years,” Monsignor Mike grinned as he handed his empty plate to Matt with a thank you.

“Was that the one about ‘Thou shalt not kill’?” quipped Jon as the whole table joined in the laughter.

“Or maybe it was ‘Do unto others as long as Mami or Papi aren’t watching’,” laughed Gabe.

“Just ignore him, Viktor and maybe he’ll go away. For the record, big brother, you taught the rest of us everything we know!” Noelle pointed to Gabe as she dissolved in giggles at turning the table on her brother.

“See what I mean? ‘Tis twenty more years of fodder for me sermons I’d be having if I came to visit more often,” the priest teased with a wink.

Viktor had already put his and Noelle’s suitcases in the car since they’d leave for Zurich right after Matt’s first set. Jon, Brigitta, and Matt had also made their escape, said their goodbyes and were on their way out the door with, “Drive safely”, “You know the rules”, and “Look out for your sister”, ringing in their ears.

Marc proved to be no match for Gabe when it came to wiping a gooey little face and sticky grabbing fingers. Then father and son chased each other into the lounge. John, Urs, and Monsignor Mike took that as their cue to join them.

Susanna closed the dishwasher door, turned the dial and it hummed to life. Only the crystal they’d washed by hand was left. The three women worked in companionable silence as Muz and Lilly dried and Susanna put away.

“You can be very proud, my dear. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more beautiful wedding…” Muz exclaimed as she gave her daughter a hug, “…except for Gabe and Lilly’s of course,” she sniffed as she added Lilly to her hug.

“When it comes to your grandchildren I think you are a bit prejudiced, not that I’m complaining mind you. Urs and I feel the same about our brood,” Susanna admitted.

“He’s going to love helping Jon get settled in a place of his own. I know he misses him as much as I do; he just won’t admit it. You know how these men are.”

“You don’t need to tell me, your Daddy’s the same way.”

“The same way as what?” John Nelson wanted to know as he walked into the kitchen.

“Devestatingly sexy and handsome Daddy, just like Urs and Gabe.”

John Nelson caught Susanna’s wink to Muz and Lilly, grinned and shook his head in defeat.

“Alright hon, time for us old folks to head up to the cottage. I think Monsignor Mike’s leaving too. Great dinner as usual, punkin.”

Susanna felt herself wrapped in her Daddy’s warm embrace and suddenly she was a little girl again.

Urs held Marc as they said their goodbyes and waved to Muz and Daddy as they headed toward the cottage in the golf cart. Then they walked Monsignor Mike to his car.

“Thank you for making Heidi’s wedding so special,” Susanna’s voice was thick with emotion as she hugged him.

“You’re truly part of our family you know,” Urs added as he squeezed the older man’s shoulder.

Even the semi-darkness couldn’t hide the twinkle in those blue eyes. “’Twas the truth I told earlier…about the sermons. Seeing yer love grow along with yer family over the years, I count ya as one of my successes”, he tousled Marc’s hair as chubby arms reached for him. Monsignor Mike chuckled, half to himself. “Like I keep preaching: Loving relationships like yours are the best protection a family can have against the challenges the world throws at them. Good night now and God bless.”

When the car was safely out of sight, Urs set squirming Marc down on the ground. Then the chase was on as he and Susanna herded their mischievous grandson into the house.

to be concluded tomorrow

Back to top Go down
Urs Suberbabe
Writers Group
Writers Group

PostSubject: Re: The Buhler Blogs   The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 10:35 pm

Susanna disconnected the camera from the laptop and set it on the end table next to her. She closed the computer that was balanced on her lap with a contented sigh. Jon had captured some great candid shots but there would be plenty of time to sort them later. She glanced over at Lilly thumbing through a magazine as Urs and Gabe played cars with Marc on the floor.

“Gabe, why don’t you and Lilly go on out tonight, just the two of you. Papi and I would love to have Marc to ourselves, right Papi?”

Urs sat up. “Ja, stay out as late as you want. Marc will be no trouble at all. It’s been too long since we’ve had a little one in the house.”

“Are you sure?” Lilly questioned.

“It will be like old times - when you were little Gabe,” Susanna reminisced. “Now go, you two!” she ordered as she shooed them out.

Upstairs, the squeals and laughter as Urs gave Marc a bath had given way to snatches of lullabies and jabbering conversation. Susanna looked up as she heard the thump of Marc jumping down each stair with Grandpapi holding firmly to his hand.

As soon as he was free, Marc made a beeline for his toy bag lying in the corner. How fortunate Lilly had brought some things from home since toys were as scarce as hen’s teeth here now that all the Buhler children were grown.

“I wondered how long you’d last, Bag Boy!” Susanna commented as she took in his bare feet, tight jeans and Harley shirt. “You must have been suffering from flashbacks to your Il Divo days. I don’t think I’ve seen you in jeans even once in the last three days. Your efforts did not go unnoticed however. You did make the most handsome father of the bride in the history of the world if that’s any consolation, but then again I may be just slightly biased.”

“What? Only slightly? I must be losing my magic touch, Houdini,” crooned his soft Isabel voice as he bent over, trapping her with one arm on each side of her chair. His soft lips teased with tiny, slow kisses on her face, neck … everywhere except her lips. With a throaty, satisfied chuckle he gave in to her as she reached up to grab his curls.

“Ganpapi! Read a story!” interrupted Marc, as he patted Urs on the backside.

Nothing like a grandchild to keep you on task.

Reluctantly, Urs and Susanna broke apart with a shared look that promised this ‘conversation’ would be continued later.

The smile Urs gave Susanna would have lit up Luzern as he showed her the book Marc had brought him to read. Its red cover was frayed on the corners and small fingers had loved some of the lettering off. It was The Kissing Hand.

Over the years the children had each received a copy of the book, personally inscribed to them: a Buhler rite of passage.

Urs held it reverently in his hands. “Gabe saved it,” he said simply.

“How many years has it been since you’ve read that?” Susanna smiled wistfully.

“Too many, Houdini. So now we begin another tradition, ja?” he beamed.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 UrsandMarcTKHEnd

Nestled in the snug refuge of Urs’ lap, Marc clutched his favorite yellow car and leaned back into the warm protection of his Grandpapi’s chest. With their curly heads side by side, Marc’s clean, sweet little boy smell enveloped him. He only meant to give him a fleeting kiss on the head but he felt those soft, silky curls on his face and he was lost.

Lost in a madrigal of memories. He closed his eyes as notes of children’s voices arranged themselves in a perfect counterpoint.

‘Little raccoon was the boss, right Papi?’
‘No Heidi, you were the raccoon last night. Now it’s my turn.’
‘Papi do we have raccoons in our forest?’
‘Just one more time Papi, please.’

Marc grasped Urs’ fingers and tried to open the book. Urs’ eyes swam as he blinked rapidly, swallowed hard, and began to read.

“Once there was a little raccoon and his name was Marc.”

“Just like me Ganpapi?”

Susanna heart thudded. Look at those eyebrows knitted together. That could be Gabe sitting there. That’s the same questioning expression he had.

“Ja, Marc, just like you…,” Urs smiled down and gave him a hug…

Just like all your aunts and uncles loved it when I would put them in the story. How they would laugh! I miss their laughter.

…and he lived in the forest with his Mama and Papa.”

Urs’ lilting voice and rhythmic cadence continued, pausing occasionally, Susanna suspected on purpose, for just one more look at Marc’s chocolaty brown eyes, shining with love for the Ganpapi he adored.

Susanna quickly stoppered her joyful laugh with her hand. I can hear the excitement in his voice. Just listen to all those wery’s. Yes, there go his hands. I can’t remember when I’ve seen him so animated. It’s like he’s come alive. You’ve really missed this haven’t you Bag Boy?

Urs pointed to the picture of the little raccoon’s paw with a red heart in the middle and gently opened Marc’s hand. He giggled and wiggled his fingers as Urs traced a heart shape on the little palm. Then he softly kissed it and folded Marc’s fingers around the kiss. Marc looked from his closed fingers to Urs and back again.

Now holding Urs’ much larger hand between both of his smaller ones, he lifted it to his face and kissed it. Finally he used both his hands to fold Urs’ fingers down and hold them there.

Susanna could almost see Urs’ heart melting. His chest rose and fell in a familiar gesture she recognized as an effort to control his emotions. Quietly, she picked up the camera from the end table and snapped a picture.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 SusannaCamera

Urs looked up as the click sounded and a gentle smile of understanding passed between them. The tradition of the Kissing Hand will live to charm the next generation.

Susanna could see Marc’s chubby fingers loosening his grip on the last page as his other hand absently twirled one of his curls, a sure sign he was fading fast. Urs set the book down and turned the tired little boy around to cuddle him against his shoulder. “I’ll be right back,” he mouthed. Susanna nodded as she scrubbed away her tears, finally giving him the little smile he’d been waiting for. Then he slowly started up the stairs with his precious burden.

Houdini sat curled up on the sofa with her Bag Boy, each needing the closeness; both needing time to give words to their emotions.

Finally the words came. “Bag Boy?”

“Hmmm Houdini.”

“I’m so proud of us,” she said as her arm tightened around him for emphasis.

“You mean because of the seven little wonders of the world we’ve created?” he joked, using their pet name for the children.

“No you silly Swiss wombat, well yes it’s wonderful how our love keeps growing the more we divide it with the children, but I didn’t mean that. I’m proud of us because we did it…we kept our promise not to teach our children how to live, we showed them by our example.”

Urs suddenly looked very smug. “I know what’s coming next,” he chuckled. “Together we are magical.”

Susanna looked thoughtful. “You’re half right, Bag Boy. I used to think that.”

Urs turned to her, suddenly worried, “But now you don’t?”

“Now I know that we’re magical BECAUSE we are together,” and she was right, they were.

Susanna, Urs, and their less than 20 children thank you for following them on their magical love story.

I want to thank all of you for your support and comments, especially Cheryl the Patient for her guidance and endless supply of red ink and Judy the Techie Diva for her creative genius and attention to detail. Also thank you to Little Glaucomys sabrinus for being a night owl.

The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 TKHEndCredits

Divafan7920 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Buhler Blogs   The Buhler Blogs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Buhler Blogs
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2